Webhosting - Webhost4Life

I have used a number of webhosts in the past 15 years - I have used discountasp.net, hostmysite.com, webhost4life, m6.net, godaddy.com, and a handful of others that I cannot recall at this time. There are a number of considerations when selecting a webhost, which I will not go into here, because that is not the point of my post.

The point here is that if you are thinking of going with webhost4life, I advise that you seriously reconsider! STEER CLEAR OF WEBHOST4LIFE! You will save yourself unnecessary agony and stress. The main reason is their absolutely poor support; the worst I've seen by far. Their website is nice, professional-looking with a "live customer support" chat feature. However, the chat directs you to a tier 1 customer support person that really cannot do anything but verify that your issue "exists". From there, it needs to go to a technician who may take a couple of days to resolve the issue.

Here are just some of the issues I experienced within a year of being with webhost4life.com:

I have run into issues where they migrated databases from a legacy server to a new platform without notifying me. It was only when I encountered a problem (ie database down), that I find out that my database had been migrated to a new platform months ago, and I should have been using the new platform... even if they never provided me with connectivity/credentials to the new platform! On top of that, they ignorantly suggested that I immediately point my website to the new platform database, even though the database is stale, containing old data from a couple of months back! At that point I ask them to re-migrate the data, which is like pulling teeth! They absolutely refuse to re-migrate data telling me that it takes too long. I keep insisting they need to re-migrate data. Again, it is like pulling teeth, so I finally get them to execute a full backup, after which I take my data to a new webhost.

I have requested database backups, and after waiting a week, received a sql script of my database - not the database backup! Thus, I had to re-request the backup, which I needed to wait an additional week for.

Consider the fact that they also have an option for "premium support" in which you can get faster access to a technician.. for $24.95/month. Of course, you won't see this until you actually subscribe to their service, and even then you won't see it until you open a ticket. Based on my prior experience with their customer service, I'm almost always tempted to purchase the premium support, but whose to say it would be better? Besides, if they are guaranteeing typical uptime, if my database is down, they should get someone on it ASAP, regardless if I have premium support or not! Unbelievable!

There are many more issues, that I don't (and don't care to) recall. Trust me, do yourself a favor and stay away from webhost4life.com! Ugh! I'm getting flashbacks just thinking about them...

No comments:

Post a Comment